Friday 18 November 2011

'Rule Based Art.' :Paper Folding (WEEK 2)

Clare Qualman a practicing artist/teacher came in to show us one of her paper techniques. It involved creating unique shapes based on set rules and shapes. the rules were: ADD, MANIPULATE, REMOVE ( in any order that you choose, using each rule or two at one time)

These were my rules that I followed to produce these pieces:
1. ADD a Triangle
2. ADD a Square
3. MANIPULATE: Make a fold

I reapeated my rule 12 times to enable my shape to develop more.We then selected a few of our shapes from our sequences that we thought we might want to eventually develop through to a 3D form. I choose 7, 10 & 12. I then traced these off and cut them out...


I then began to play with the shapes manipulating, rolling them into 3D forms and sticking them in place with masking tape. These are just a few I thought were interesting...







I decided to make another, more complex rule...

1.Add a square
2.Add a triangle
3.Remove a triangle
and these were some of the outcomes,...



I prefered the more intricate detailing to this more complex 'rule' however I also like the more simplistic examples so will have to decide which one to progress to a real garment idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment